Skip Navigation

School History

 

Ferdinand HerffHerff, also known as School #18, was established in 1904 at its present site.

The school was named after a prominent businessman, city treasurer for 12 years, and member of San Antonio School Board because he donated land for the school site.

The original structure and another one built in 1907 were razed in 1939 due to deterioration, and a new structure was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) program.  This one was demolished in 2001 to make way for an all-new building.

In 1969 grades 3rd-5th moved to nearby Douglass Elementary after that school ceased being a junior high.

During the 2001-02 school year Herff students attended classes at the former Burnet Elementary during construction of their new school.

Ferdinand Ludwig Herff (1820–1912) was a 19th-century German-born physician who emigrated to Texas and became a medical pioneer in San Antonio. He was one of the co-founders of the Bettina commune. In 1982, Recorded Texas Historic Landmark 1268 was placed on Malakopf Mountain in Boerne, to honor Herff. Herff's homesite in San Antonio was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in the year 2000.

COPYRIGHT © 2016 - SAN ANTONIO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM