Skip Navigation

About

 

Beacon Hill Elementary School has had several name changes. The school was first named Roberts - Beacon Hill Elementary after Governor Roberts, and opened in 1908.  It was a two room brick building with a wooden fence around the playground.

Oran Milo Roberts was born July 9th, 1815 in South Carolina.  Roberts didn’t go to school, so he was educated at home until he was 17. Then he entered and graduated from the University of Alabama.  Governor O. M. Roberts served the public through government as judge, librarian, district attorney and governor. He was the first governor following the Civil War who was an advocate for free public education.  Oran Milo Roberts died in Austin on May 19th, 1898.

Next, the school was named School #22 because it was the 22nd school built in the district.  By that time, the school had two large buildings with 17 classrooms.  The reason why they stopped calling the school #22 is because there was no pride in a school being called a number.

Beacon Hill Elementary PTA changed the name of the school in 1933, with approval of the school board.  They named the school Beacon Hill Elementary because that was the name of the neighborhood.  The name is also associated with the area being popular and a great place to live.

In 1999, a new schoolhouse was constructed and the title was Beacon Hill Elementary School.   It is a perfect place to learn.  It has thirty classrooms, a music room, library, science lab, computer lab, school cafeteria, two garden areas, and separate gym.

 

COPYRIGHT © 2016 - SAN ANTONIO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM