Skip Navigation



The school evolved from rented facilities on South Flores Street. In 1899 a two-room building was rented from Paul Meerschmidt. In 1900 a larger facility was rented from Henry Sherman, and in 1901 a three-room house was rented from G. Battaglia to accommodate the growing student population. These facilities were referred to as the Lakeside School, and also called Miss Cook's School in honor of principal Rebbie Cook.

In 1904 a new four-room, two-story brick school house opened as School #19. Although named for William T. Harris in honor of the United States Commissioner of Education, the school continued to be called Lakeside for several years afterwards.

In March 1905 the Harris name was changed to Briscoe at the suggestion of Harris' son, Theodore, an SAISD trustee. His request was on behalf of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas that the school be named after a state patriot.

Andrew BriscoeAndrew Briscoe (November 25, 1810– October 4, 1849) was an American pioneer who fought in the Texas Revolution against Mexican authority.

Andrew was born in Claiborne County, Mississippi and emigrated to Anahuac, Texas, where he opened a store. He fought with the Texian Army during the revolution, and signed the Texas Declaration of Independence in 1836. He later served as Chief Justice of Harrisburg, Texas, from 1836-1839. After his term ended, he became a cattle dealer. In the spring of 1849, he moved with his family to New Orleans, where he lived until his death.

Briscoe is buried in the Texas State Cemetery in Austin, Texas. Briscoe County, Texas, is named in his honor.

In the 2003-04 school year Briscoe became an academy, serving grades pre-kinder to 6.

In 2004 Briscoe also obtained internal charter status with an emphasis on providing students who later seek enrollment at the area’s International Baccalaureate Magnet at Burbank High School with the college-preparatory skills and knowledge necessary for that rigorous program.


powered by ezTaskTitanium TM