Skip Navigation

School History

 

Midlred BaskinPreliminary arrangements for an elementary school in the developing northwest area of the San Antonio Independent School District were begun with the purchase of seven and thirty-five hundredths acres of land at the corner of Babcock Road and Crestview Drive on July 14, 1954.

At a meeting of the San Antonio Board of Education on December 8, 1954, it was decided that the new school to be built would be named in honor of Miss Mildred Baskin, who served ably and efficiently as a teacher and principal in San Antonio schools for a period of fifty years.

On January 26, 1955, the first plans for the school were submitted to the Board of Education. The contract for construction was awarded on June 8, 1955. One year later, June 15, 1956, the finished school was accepted by the Board. The total cost of the building at that time was $299,252.84.

Mildred Baskin Elementary School opened its doors on September 5, 1956. Mrs. Edith Rogers was appointed principal and assigned a teaching staff of seven teachers. One hundred ninety-seven students registered the first day. As enrollment increased during the year, four additional classroom teachers were added to the faculty.
As the community grew, so did the need for additional classrooms. Four classrooms were added to the school at a cost of $46,887.18 and were ready for use in September 1961. This brought the total number of rooms in the school to twenty.

During school years 1966-1967 Room 1 was converted to a central library. A full time library secretary was hired and a multi-school librarian was scheduled to serve the school one day a week.

A physical education program conducted by a physical education teacher was inaugurated in the fall of 1966. This not only gave the students a more comprehensive activity program, it also gave the classroom teachers some much needed time for planning.

The school program was further enhanced during the 1966-67 school year with the addition of a second 16mm motion picture projector and another filmstrip projector. The overhead projector was introduced into the classrooms for the first time and found most effective. In attempting to further meet the needs of each child, the SRA Reading Laboratories were used in the fifth and sixth grades.

COPYRIGHT © 2016 - SAN ANTONIO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM