Skip Navigation

School History

Hawthorne opened at its present site in 1923 as one the SAISD's original eight junior high schools. While awaiting completion of the building, classes were held at Eleanor Brackenridge Elementary on Brooklyn Avenue.

Hawthorne became an elementary in 1975, and then an internal charter academy in 2001 with an emphasis on the school’s acclaimed Core Knowledge Curriculum and its art program serving pre-kinder to grade 5. Grade 6 was added in 2002, grade 7 in 2003 and 8th-grade in 2004.

The school is named for Nathanial Hawthorne, in accordance with SAISD’s practice of naming the original junior highs in honor of American authors.

Nathaniel Hawthorne (July 4, 1804 – May 19, 1864) was an American novelist, dark romantic, and short story writer.

COPYRIGHT © 2016 - SAN ANTONIO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM