Skip Navigation

School History

 

The school opened at its present site as Graebner Elementary in September 1932, but was often called the Hoover Street School in the early days because of its location. It also was known as School #37.

Mr. Charles Graebner was a prominent San Antonio businessman of an old pioneer family, who had shown a lively interest in education and donated land for educational purposes to SAISD. With the doors of Graebner opening Mr. Graebner donated shrubs for landscaping the school grounds. In September of 1945, Graebner came of age and received it's first full time principal to the enrollment of 500+ children. Since 1945 to present date, seven principals have opened Graebner's doors to the children of the community.

In 1982, Graebner's 50th anniversary year, the Griffin was chosen as the school's mascot.

Within this time frame, Graebner Elementary has had many face-lifts. The latest bond enabled Graebner to receive a new wing, housing 16 classrooms and the school library. In addition, the cafeteria was expanded and a new gym built. A new Pre Kinder wing was built to house 2 units for PreK 3 and 2 units of PreK 4.

Graebner was a KEY Initiative School from 1997-2001.

 

COPYRIGHT © 2016 - SAN ANTONIO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM